View Single Post
Old 03-04-14, 09:41 AM
happybday29475

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ShutUpLegs
Same here shovel. Left my team from last year where kits were paid for and race fees reimbursed to join a new team with friends whom will race almost every weekend together. No real incentives except for a nice discount through the LBS. But to me it is more enjoyable to go to a race with teammates and friends than be on a team where everything is paid but I was usually the only one from the team.
There is some consistency here in this perspective...I agree as well.

In days gone by, I was on a team that was so good at fundraising that, well I can't say, but let's say that my wallet was fatter after a season than before. But the incentives do what they're supposed to, and incent people to join, in order to get the incentives. So people don't join to race or necessarily even ride...and hence the result was in this case a club that was wealthy but not-race focused.

I'm now of the opinion that clubs without much sponsorship are potentially more fueled by passion for racing/cycling and friendship than anything, and hence may be healthier, and more fun for the members (YMMV), than clubs with generous sponsorship.