Old 03-04-14, 11:11 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by Pakiwi
Yes I absolutely feel clothes fitting better. Both on my legs and shirts. Even my wedding ring has a gap in it.
Yes I know I need to cut down on my carbs.
I know I will get there. Just would prefer to see a 2lb loss in a week.
And it's hard when others around me lose 4-5 a week.
I was doing a core workout but stopped while I picked up the mileage but will reintroduce that into my workout.
Allan
Keep in mind that daily weight can easily fluctuate 2 lbs or more, so if someone's weighing weekly, what looks like a 5 lb loss may actually be no loss at all (i.e, last week weighted on a heavy day, this week weighed on a light day).

The things that made the biggest difference for me when I started were:

1) Cutting down or out sodas and alcohol
2) Reducing carbs
3) Tracking everything
and related to 3: learning to spot innaccurate calorie estimates.

For some reason, a lot of apps tend to dramatically overestimate calorie burn, and many people tend to dramatically underestimate food portions. So when you're starting, it's easy to look at an app and think you're running a calorie deficit when you're actually running a surplus. I try to use the most conservative available estimate of calorie burn and the most liberal estimate of calorie intake. That's worked for 2 1/2 years now, and it's helped me maintain my goal weight.

Finally, any one week's numbers are relatively meaningless. Take a big ride on Sunday, then celebrate by eating something salty Sunday night, and your weight will be up on Monday despite the fact that you really did run a calorie deficit. But look at 4 or 5 weeks in a row of decreasing numbers and you'll know you're on to something.

BB

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton