View Single Post
Old 03-04-14, 04:43 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by iamtim

If you don't feel comfortable enough on a bike to take your hands off the bars to shift, definitely do NOT get the DT shifters.
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
Or, and this is a radical suggestion, but if you don't feel comfortable enough on a bike to take your hands off the bars to shift, learn to get comfortable enough on your bike to take your hands off the bars to shift. If you can't ride with one hand off the bars, comfortably and smoothly and without thought, and are not willing to learn, then you should stop riding your bike, for your own safety. Because, you will crash eventually, and it'll be a hard crash. 100% guaranteed.
... And the way to learn those skills is not to take off on a bike using an older approach to shifting. ...[B]rifters are safer for beginners and novices specifically because they don't require releasing hold on the bars to shift.

Not everyone is a cat 2 track, cat 3 road level cyclist.

You might want to go back and re-read the thread, there, bucko... it was Brian who initially dumped on my comment.
Here's the core of the discussion. There was no dumping. Just a reasonable disagreement on how to teach beginners to ride.

The bolded highlight is mine. Note you start resorting to ad hominum rhetoric quite early in the discussion and I probably could have toned down my initial response a little. Now, we've both presented our views. We are on two different ends of an internet pipe; all we can convey is information for others to view and evaluate.

And I still stand by my opinion. You have bigger problems than shifting systems if riding with one hand affects your safety.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter

Last edited by Brian Ratliff; 03-04-14 at 04:46 PM.