Old 03-06-14, 04:06 AM
rifraf

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Extrawheel Trailer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
OK, upon your recommendation and given the likely disappearance of the Philips lights in the near future, I jumped and got myself the Lumiring. I have to say that I like its appearance from up close. However, from side-by-side comparison against my reference B&M Lineplus, it is always dimmer. It is dimmer from straight on far away and interestingly dimmer from any angle, from the side, above etc. I.e. while Philips claims that Lumiring's benefit is in its visibility from large angles, it falls behind that first light I took for comparison. Still Lumiring is good enough and I do not regret getting it - in spite of it being dimmer it is bright enough and looks good. However, on the main bike I will rather keep Lineplus, given the direct comparison. Also an advantage for me is that I can switch off the standlight in Lineplus but in Lumiring. After its standlight capacitor is charged, Lumiring takes little current, just about 17mA. Lineplus takes also very little current, about 20mA, but I did not check the exact value in its case.
Hiya,
thanks for the feedback on your experiences with the Lumiring.
I agree its an attractive light (unlike some) which appeals to my sense of aesthetic.
Good to know for future reference, in case anyone asks, what the draw of current is approx.
I have heard differing opinions on output compared to the Lineplus so I took a punt that it was acceptable and have found it more than acceptable in useage.
One of the feedbacks I found online with regards to the Lineplus was water ingress which swung me to the Lumiring.
I think I formed my purchase decision mainly from:
http://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/tes.../index_en.html
due to their being no shops local to me that carry either tail-light.

Happy Spinning