Old 03-06-14, 07:44 AM
mongol777

Bikes: are all mine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by turky lurkey
That said I have told a few couple to consider bikes sold, and I make darn sure that if give my word on that, I'm buying the bike. The only way I would go back on my word is if I arrived and found the frame to be cracked or found out that the buyer had substantially deceived me in some way.
My policy as well - funny but a lot of sellers are genuinely surprised when I do show up on time. When I am on the other side and guy shows up on time, does not make silly offers over email before seeing the bike and overall nice person to deal with - I sometimes give a good discount. One time I gave away a bike - it was decent vintage Raleigh MTB, I fully refurbished it, etc and just could not fall in love with it. Guy was a poor student, just came to Canada, came all the way to get the bike from another part of the city in real nasty weather. He was very polite, on time, liked the bike a lot, did not haggle - he got the bike for free and I gave him a ride to nearest subway station.
One other time I had set of fenders for sale - just wanted to get rid of them. After several tire kicker did not show up I got email from nice fella - he got to my house on his bike and I see right away that fenders won't work for him (too wide for his frame). I also noticed that bike is used daily and would benefit from getting rear brake to work (was missing cable) and couple of other things. Did it for him on the spot and told him how to take at least minimum care of the bike. He was very grateful, asked me how much I want for the job I did - of course I told him it is free and wished him to ride safe.
But it is very rare to meet folks like that - most of the time just normal transaction and occasional jackass here and there