View Single Post
Old 03-06-14, 10:27 PM
pamaguahiker 

Bikes: 2014 VeloOrange Campeur. late 90s Bianchi Cyclocross cro-mo frameset modified to touring, 1993 Bianchi Project 5, 80s Holdsworth Gemini Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
That ice on the lake in the back of my pic is said to be 26 inches thick in some areas. Some ole codger who is there everyday was telling me it was the coldest winter ever for him to fish and the ice was thicker than ever before. But...he also walked to school uphill in both directions in 3 foot of snow, barefoot....

To be able to XC ski in the a.m. and bike in the same day was exciting. The roads are still dicey though around here. There are many spots still cover and black ice. When coming up with decisions to purchase new brakes for my new upcoming build. I debated about Paul brakes. I chose a different direction but i did consider them. I am still trying to decide if my decision to get a VO Carmague is overkill and i should opt for something a bit more mild mannered like the New Albion Privateer or even the VO passhunter...I mean, the Carmague will be perfect when i head out to do bike camping with my wife, but i am sure i could do just the same with the other two bikes mentioned. It was sort of like choosing between the Bridgestone RBT or the XO years ago. I went with a Bianchi Project bike then and a Bianchi Equinox. I miss the Equinox!

Up til last year, i was using a converted Bianchi cross frameset (last of the cromo ones) and it is a great frame, but it is made for cross! The wheel flop and handling was bad for any loaded riding. I mean, it worked. Just not the best.