View Single Post
Old 10-06-05, 08:28 AM
cyclintom

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
A couple of points here:

1) Turns out my Campy wheels are '98 Zondas. Very sleek and beautiful but I'm not all that happy with them breaking special spokes.

2) I've been using Ksyrium SSL's on my Eddy Merckx EX and Equipes on my Raleigh Team CX. These wheels are VERY good. However, the reports on the Ventos seem to be that they are very reliable.

3) The price on Ventos seems to be about the same or slightly less expensive as the Mavic Ksyrium Equipes which are also bombproof.

But one thing I'll have to maintain is that they ARE racing wheels. Anyone that believes that 8 ounces on a wheel makes any detectable difference outside of a professional level races simply doesn't know what he's talking about.

Think about this: The rear wheel weight difference is about 6 ounces. During acceleration if it was ALL on the rim of the wheel it would be about the same as accelerating an addition 12 ounces on the bike. A bike and rider weighs 200 lbs. Therefore 12 ounces is some .4% difference. Human beings typically can't detect anything closer than 2% and for physical efforts can't tell the differences until more like 5%.

The guy who is using Ventos and the guy who is using Zipps can't tell the difference except in their own heads. (Well when you spend that much money on a set of wheels I suppose you feel obligated to tell a difference.)