RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
And if you plan on doing rides longer 10 miles or so, you're likely to find that the hybrid bike, with only one hand position is actually less comfortable than the road bike which offers multiple hand positions.
Merlin, I agree that stock hybrids can be uncomfortable, with cheap round grips. But if someone spends a similar level of intelligence to fitting their hybrid as they do a road bike, a hybrid can be essentially as comfortable as a road bike. Ergon grips and bar ends offer multiple comfortable hand positions, and a change in wrist attitude that you do not see in using hoods and drops on a road bike. I have done many centuries on a flat bar hybrid, done 150 mile days on a flat bar hybrid, and have seen the same level of discomfort (which some discomfort from lack of prep was expected) that I see when I do the same ride on a road bike.

I know that you have sense behind your posts, but lots of folks throw around the "you only have one hand position and could never ride 20 miles" non-sense about hybrids. I am not saying you did that, just that it happens.