Old 03-07-14, 12:50 PM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
Originally Posted by achoo
So, don't get one of those.

Get a cyclocross-style road bike designed for off-road use too.

Exactly! And any decent bike shop will have such bikes.

As do all the cyclocross-style bikes.

You can add a clip-on aerobar to a drop bar bike too. The flat-bar hybrid is still behind in number and variety of hand positions.

No one is saying otherwise.

I'm sure people have done RAGBRAI on all sorts of bicycles. Even unicycles. That doesn't make them good solutions for what the OP wants to to.

Or a cyclocross-style road bike that can do that too.

I just don't understand where the push for hybrids comes from. If you like yours, fine. But hybrids have shortcomings - they're not really a road bike and they're not really a mountain bike.

And the OP's stated use is that of a road bike. And no, gravel roads and bike trails do not mean a non-road bike is the solution because road bikes do just fine there.
Man, I really can't stand these replys where someone takes each sentence and argues against it.

I'm sure people have done RAGBRAI on all sorts of bicycles. Even unicycles. That doesn't make them good solutions for what the OP wants to to.
The op is asking for opinions on her choices. I feel the hybrid is the best choice between those two for her goals.

If I was going to offer a solution to the Op that wasn't one of her choices, I would say a Rivendell Sam Hillborne has everything she would need.