Old 03-10-14, 09:43 AM
camelopardalis

Bikes: Some

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Nikon Rep
I lived in Murrieta for 2 years and I have biked, hiked and off roaded in my truck many times on the exact trails this man took and died on.

In my opinion the "search and rescue" teams should be ashamed of themselves and should seriously consider finding new jobs.

Those trails are EASILY passable in the wet weather both in a 4x4 and on foot. The elevation is low so temps are not a problem.

What exactly do search and rescue teams train and get paid to do ?

I no longer live in that area but if I had known about this case at the time I would have called my friends who would have gladly gone up there in their 4x4's and searched for free to help these people out.

At the end of the day the responsibility for ones own being lies with ones self. It sounds like the cyclist suffered either a medical issue or some type of injury from a fall and was thus unable to self rescue.

However, if I was one of those cowardly "search and rescue" guys I would resign and find a job indoors.
I find Nikon Rep's comments go to the heart of this matter. Somebody who's very familiar with the trail. If he feels that he can call up friends to do the search, why would trained rescue personnel not be willing to go?

Last edited by camelopardalis; 03-10-14 at 10:28 AM.