Old 03-10-14, 03:44 PM
dassguy

Bikes: 1992 Giant 980c

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Tires are cracking does not mean wheels need to be replaced. Get new tires, the tires on the bike may be 23 years old (pretty common for used bikes to have original, aged, rotted tires). Cables and housings are another item useful to replace. I've owned a lot of vintage wheels, many older than yours, and most were OK.

Nothing wrong with Shimano 105, I would keep the components.

Many of us would also recommend you get hubs and headset serviced (bearings and grease). Some shops will not give you the full lowdown as many customers are not willing to spend the $$ my list would cost. Its one reason doing the service work can be very rewarding. Realize shops have to pay their help, taxes, rent, insurance, etc., and make a profit of course. A handy person can save serious $$ doing it themselves. The choice is yours.

I have bought a lot of older bikes over the years, and I have yet to have gotten one where the prior owner maintained it fully. So my ownership starts with a complete teardown and rebuild. Fortunately, I have the tools and supplies in hand, so its not that big of a deal.
Very true I see where your coming from. unfortunately I cannot do it my self since I do not have the space or the correct tools to do so. My thought on the wheels had nothing to do with the tires being bad more so to do with them having bent spokes. first on my list for this season is a good tune-up