Thread: Solvang
View Single Post
Old 03-10-14, 09:35 PM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Thanks guys.

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Did you guys go through the airbase or did they avoid it? The route looks similar but it's different from Lompoc to Santa Maria.

I had to stay in Lompoc btw, it wasn't that bad.

Congrats on finishing, that's a pretty century. Supposedly they reduced the signups this year, which you would hope would lead to reduced congestion at the rest stops, but ours were very crowded last year.
Yeah. I like to prepare for big rides using RideWithGPS and Google Earth Street view. About two weeks ago I went to the Scor Website and noticed that the route had changed to skip going on base. For me this was kind of a good thing because street view is not available on military bases. This is of course a mixed blessing since I have discovered that trying to accurately gauge grade from street view is not reliable. That second climb out of Foxen Canyon really did not look that bad on street view. On the other hand I was pretty well prepared for that great Ballard Canyon decent, and managed not to kill myself.