View Single Post
Old 03-11-14, 04:54 AM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostSS
Depends on what you like to do on your bike. You can pull off pretty neat tricks on a fixed (Kevin Bacon style?). Casual cruising can be enjoyable. Personally I'm in the same boat as you, I'm all about SS riding. I like to ride fast, so I need to stop fast. I like to sprint ride everyday in Waikiki keeping up with cars in a straight line to and from work. I'm probably considered a weirdo by fixie culture standard with mini aero bars on my SS, but I love the look I get from drivers when I'm in the next lane and pulling away from them after a stop light. I tried it fixed for a week and quite frankly I'm surprised I made it out alive.
I'm sorry mate, this post makes absolutely no sense at all. If anything, you've restricted your riding by riding SS while ignoring gears or fg.

With good brakes, you will stop as fast on a fg as you will on your SS (no brakes is just stoopid with regards to being able to stop). On the other hand, you have far more control over your speed with a fg than you do with anything using a freewheel - brakes are a really blunt tool for controlling speed, only good for stopping.

I'd address other things but basically, you may have tried fg but you've failed to master any of the skills and hence decided that fg is only about funny stuff such as tricks. You've missed the point completely. Ride fg for any real period (a week or two doesn't even begin to count) and you'll change you're attitude ... assuming you have the ability to learn new stuff.