darling no baka

Location: I come from a place where the nuts hunt the squirrels

Bikes: Bike Friday New World Tourist, 2005 Trek 520, 2005 Raleigh Companion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe
Once I got used to clipless pedals (which only took a few rides), I had zero interest in riding anywhere without cleats, even 7-10 mile rides. I found that getting SPD shoes that let you walk around in them worked out much better. Plus, with the "Jekyll & Hyde" pedals, you need to pay much more attention to clipping in -- since you might put your unclipped shoe into the "regular" side of the pedal. Kinda sucks at an intersection.

In other words, you're likely to outgrow the pedal in a few weeks. They'll still work fine, but you'll probably want a more standard clipless right away.
Not necessarily. I've got a similar (non-Performance) set, and have found that layout to be quite satisfactory. Intersections simply aren't a problem in my experience... if I place my shoe on the wrong side, so what? I can still pedal quite effectively on the platform side, and it only takes a few strokes to clear an intersection. Plus, it's not difficult to clip in at startup, once you get used to the arrangement.

While I very much like clipless pedals, I've found that there are cases where they're simply more trouble than they're worth. Going downtown with my wife, for example, for an hour or two of walking/browsing/shopping. Or a three-mile trip to the grocery store. Even the mostly-walkable MTB style shoes are a pain in those cases.