View Single Post
Old 03-11-14, 12:48 PM
softreset

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by dtrain
You hauled your home appliances down to the coffee shop to sell them? Toaster and latte maker...or the fridge?

But you give the OP good advice. There just aren't very many people who are going to spend over $2k on a used bike (regardless of the MSRP). And custom means very little to the second or third owner. Parting out a bike typically yields the highest resale.
Actually, all three. I liquidated a 2300 sq ft home in the course of a month via multiple yard sales, CL and eBay. That included a fridge, in a parking lot of a Sears. Let me tell you, we got some stares.

I agree with you, purchasing a bike cannot be seen as an investment in anyway. Bikes are routinely selling for 40-50% off original MSRP on CL, eBay, etc. Could you get more? Maybe. You need have a range and work your way down it. Start it at $3300 and then knock off $50 a week (or so) until you hit your basement price. That's what I've traditional done and it's worked out pretty. I've never paid the asking price for an item from CL because the item is never as originally described. So you as the seller need some wiggle room because the buyer is going to want to take a lot.