Old 03-12-14, 12:10 PM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UmneyDurak
For people who are using Vittoria Corsa Evo CX. Any comments on puncture resistance, or just longivity? I was thinking of going with them, but comments on roabikereview got me really concerned:
Vittoria Corsa Evo CX Tires - Tubular Reviews - RoadbikeReview.com

Thanks
i wouldn't worry. someone always has a negative experience.

the vittorias have a puncture resistant belt, but it is not magic. it is possible to flat any tire in the first few miles of riding. running over a nail or glass is going to go through any puncture resistant layer of any tire that we want to ride.

what i find is that the corsas -- whether tubular or the clincher version -- have a very definite wear pattern/life-span. you'll figure out what it is for you. perhaps you'll find that you get 1,500 miles from them as i do.

if i try to push beyond that point, e.g., with the clincher version, i will tend to get a flat and if i change the tube another one is quite likely within the next 50-100 miles. essentially you'll find that the casing gets thin and you're more exposed. once i get one flat (in the clincher version) they're done, unless it was that rare early one cause by riding over a staple, but the rest of the casing is fine.

if you stay on top of them and replace them around that point, you may never/rarely flat.

that said, $hit happens and sometimes a tire gets slashed early and is beyond repair.