Old 03-12-14, 11:45 PM
Heatherbikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks. I did say vintage bike, not new. I would be in another bike forum asking about ride quality of soma if that is what I wanted. I cannot afford a new soma frame and all the parts, nor do I want one. Last time I looked the smoothie did not even come my size. The soma buena vista is nowhere near lightweight and has an incredibly long top tube. If I went new and had the money, it would be a mercian, or fully custom.
I would be willing to pay for a higher end vintage bike my size, but they simply do not come up very often, get snatched up immediately, or in my case, the owners have second thoughts.
I have 2 vintage frames, one was given to me, discovered it has a bent fork, another frame I spent a good deal of money on is in poor cosmetic shape and appears to be bent as well. Annoyingly, the cost of getting one of these bikes sorted out and built out would be more than just getting a decent vintage bicycle. The bianchi I was going to buy was $375 obo which is a great price. You have to consider that bike components cost far more in Canada for whatever reason.
I have been looking for X bike for years on CL and it's pretty much over priced. There are deals of course, but you have to be on top of it and I live to far away to just hop in and look at a bike. I do not know why the Vancouver market is so overhyped. Most people ride beaters around for fear of having their beautiful bikes stolen. But even the beaters cost way too much. My husband has paid through the nose for many bikes on CL only to have to pour more money into them to get them even ridable! Higher end bikes of greater value will sit for awhile especially as they tend to be larger. My husband spent a premium on a bianchi with campy victory had sat on cL for ages because the seller would not budge on price. If a small campy columbus tubed bike came up, it would be gone immediately. Hopping down to Seattle is not an option anytime soon though it would be fun. I sometimes fantasize about buying a bike down in Seattle or even Bellingham where I have seen amazing bikes on CL and riding home.
I do not have marketplace access to put up a wtb posting, and am simply putting it out there. The best CL finds thread is full of amazing bikes, especially the boston area, but what's a girl to do.
I missed out on a campy bianchi on ebay by $1.

Last edited by Heatherbikes; 03-12-14 at 11:54 PM. Reason: forgot info