View Single Post
Old 03-13-14, 06:58 AM
Duane Behrens

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac (carbon), Specialized Roubaix (carbon, wifey), Raleigh Super Course (my favorite), and 2 Centurion project bikes.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by likebike23
If I'm understanding you correctly, you want to mount the shift levers from the stem shifters to the problem solvers clamp? If that's the case, it might work. But for less than the price of the problem solvers clamp, you could find some vintage suntour DT shifters. If you put a WTB post in the C&V for sale thread, you'll find what you need.
Thank you. I've done both. For too much money, I've ordered a new Shimano DT clamp and shifters. The shifters are "indexed" and so may not work with the Nishiki's friction-type RD. I just don't know - I've never done this.

So, to be safe, on the collective advice of you good folks . . . and to avoid stalling out on this little project, I've also ordered a set of Sun Tour DT shifters off of Ebay,

Vintage Suntour Bicycle Downtube Power Shifters | eBay

Awesome. Feel the love . . .

EDIT:
Duh - just realized I also have an '88 Schwinn World Sport with INDEXED, Shimano, stem mounted shifters. I'll just convert that bike as well, using the new indexed DT shifters, and will put the Suntour shifters on the Nishiki. I love it when a non-plan comes together!

Last edited by Duane Behrens; 03-13-14 at 08:13 AM.