View Single Post
Old 03-13-14, 10:16 AM
Inquisitor.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
So, not having shifter cables will save 8w at 25mph? I don't know much about aerodynamics, but I have a hard time believing that.

As for the rest of your question, my experience has been that I get used to whatever I have. For example, when I switched from Shimano to Sram, it took a little while, but I got used to it. Now I like Sram and don't really want to ride Shimano. I'm sure if I switched back, I'd hate it for a little while, then get used to it. Also, after years of riding Cannondales, I got an Argon. At first, I didn't really like it. Now, I don't really like going back to the Cannondale.

According to someone from Felt, the aero savings of electronic shifters is due to lack of hardware to mount mechanical shifters and cable routing.

In the end, I want whatever is going to give me the best shifting performance when it really matters (sprinting, climbing). I believe both Ultegra Di2 and SRAM 22 have some sort of automatic trim to eliminate chain rub. I'm sure you're correct that I'll get used to whichever one I go with. Should I even consider Ultegra 11 speed?

Originally Posted by Wesley36
My boss described it this way after this first race - he would make a shift, and then the bike would just be in the new gear. Lacking the feedback, however, he would generally look down after the shift to make sure it had happened - he was so used to feeling and hearing the shift, that when that feedback was lacking, he doubted that the shift had been made.
I felt the same way when I took a bike with Di2 for a test ride. I'd sometimes glance down to ensure the shift actually happened.