Old 03-13-14, 12:22 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,466 Times in 1,434 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
They are presently building a world class velodrome a very short distance from my house. I'm thinking I might give it a go, and I'm 60. Not that that has anything to do with it.
I've been riding a bike all my life, but I have only been in about four races, and three of them were when I was younger than 25. I learned that road racing is not fun for me. There's too much pain. A friend suggested this year that I try track racing. I suspect that I can endure the pain because the races are short. I may also stand a better chance of doing decently. Road racers over 50 may have a lifetime of experience, so they might humiliate me. The differences on the track might not be so great. I'll find out soon, I guess.

I suggest you try it. What counts is not how well I do. If it's fun and I learn from it, it's worthwhile. I think I could lose spectacularly and have fun at the same time!

And hey, maybe we'll meet on the race circuit. Wouldn't that be a kick?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.