Old 03-13-14, 03:35 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
There is still a huge price gap between used and new. A 30 year old Trek 520 in very good condition can command $250-$400 pretty easily, without resorting to ebay. A factory fresh 520 from the LBS Trek franchisee will set you back $1500.

I'd say the vintage market is fine, but agree there is more competition, especially because everyone has a smart phone.

The last 11 bikes I've purchased going back to December 2013, not counting the PX10 I got last weekend, have cost and average of $70 each. It includes a Miyata 618GT, Miyata 610, Trek 1200, two Schwinn Voyageurs (Panasonic built), two Stumpjumpers, a Super Le Tour, and several Motobecane mixtes. I will completely strip the frames, clean, refurbish, and replace most consumables, including tires if they look the slightest bit aged. But I expect to be able to remarket the refurbished bikes for about $250 each. It's not easy money, but the therapy is free. And when one or two pay for my grail PX10, I am a happy camper, or should I say bike rider.

But many noob buyers think all used bikes should be 1/2 ORIGINAL retail. A guy offered $150 for a non vintage, minty, basically unridden 2005 Trek 7200 FX that I have for sale at $299; his thinking 1/2 original retail was fair. The current replacement model is a Trek 7.2 FX and goes for close to $600 with tax. When he asked me why I am asking only $50 less than original retail, I tell him I sold a 2006 model 7.2 FX in September for $299 that was refurbished by me, but had badly scuffed paint and had been ridden hard. Also, I encourage him to seek out other listings as most of the CL bikes are indeed expensive because they need so much work. Finally, I share with him that there are more than a handful of vintage bikes that sell for more than original MSRP. It's alright, despite 9" of fresh snow in the last 24 hours, this bike should be sold before the weekend is over!

Last edited by oddjob2; 03-13-14 at 03:47 PM.