View Single Post
Old 03-13-14, 05:29 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by QtoC
Today was my first time bike commuting Quincy to Cambridge on a weekday. Having the sun rising over the Neponset river as backdrop was encouraging. I am planning to do this 2-3 times per week weather permitting. Does anyone else here commute from or through Quincy to Boston?

Originally Posted by jimmuller
Well done. Sorry, I don't know that part of the world. Maybe "Jim from Boston" does. Those of us who live in MetroWest know that if we go too far east we'll get wet but that doesn't seem to be a problem for JFB .
Hi Guys,

Thanks jimmuller for that referral. I've been contributing routes to this thread on the Northeast Regional Discussion Forum, ”Cambridge to Quincy Commute: Doable?” since it started to in 2010, and QtoC picked up on it in January of this year.

During the nice weather, when I expand my commuting route to Norwood from Kenmore, I often go by way of Quincy through Canton, and sometimes even further via Randolph and Stoughton. On weekends, Quincy is the gateway to the South Shore. I'm always glad to discuss cycle-commuting, but recently I’ve been become introspective:

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Thanks for your reply and it prompted some introspection. I post about commuting from the point of view of a nearly perfect bicycle commuting situation. Besides the excellent storage facilities at work, I have nearby commuter rail stations at both the beginning and endpoints of my route. Indeed I have posted previously, that there for the grace of God:

…Humbly, if Bike Forums ever had a Best Commute Award, I would be a frontrunner.

Frequently when acquaintances expressed dismay at my relatively safe, residential and light commercial routes in the reverse commute direction of traffic, I cite the stories of other BF subscribers riding two lane roads with no shoulders, and 55 mph speed limits.
So as an early morning reverse commuter, all the routes I take are wonderful rides, and I salute the inbound commuters like QtoC and mtalinm.