Old 03-15-14, 02:39 AM
Medic Zero

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gaucho777
I don't have any pictures of the bike cage. We haven't move offices yet, and I didn't think to take any photos of the cage the one time I toured the new space. I thought it would be helpful to show the type of bike I may park in the cage.

I know people hate seeing bikes on cycling-related forums, so my apologies for that.
Nice! Don't worry about Fietsbob, he's a curmedgeon.

I work at a hospital where we have a couple of cages. Since they remodeled the further away cage and everyone realized that their codes and keys could get them into the closer cage everyone has been using that one. Still, even full, on nice weather weekdays, there are probably only about 20 people that use it. Since I figured they were all co-workers and fellow commuters I used to leave my bike unlocked in the cage, until after about two years of no problems, someone stole my water bottle! I took heed and ferried in an old u-lock that I use to lock my bike to the rack.

I was very glad I started locking up in the cage because a few weeks later a Urban Outdoorsman used something to cut through the thin steel mesh of the cage so that he could reach in and open the door handle. I think he may have actually cut through the side of the cage with bolt cutters, because the bike that he tried to steal (our security caught him in the bushes nearby with it) was only secured with a hardware store chain.

As always, it's about being harder to steal than the bike next to you (or the bikes around you). If you're worried about it, bring in two u-locks (or a u-lock and a good chain with its own lock) and leave them there. As long as someone else is locked up with only one, it won't be worth it to go after your bike.