View Single Post
Old 03-15-14, 07:44 PM
AmandaMike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Short Captain, Tall Stoker?

First off, this is my first post so - HI!

The Mr and I are in search of a tandem bike. Budget wise we are probably looking at a Raleigh (sp?) or Tandemania.

He is much taller than I am - 6'2" vs 5'3". But I have to ride captain. He's blind. When he was a teenager and into his early twenties (he was once sighted) he was a competitve cyclist. I know he misses it. This is meant to help us get back part of something he has lost.

Are there any good options out there for a couple with our height difference? I've been reading other threads on the topic and I genuinely don't think we'll have issues with balance or control. I lead him everywhere as is - so the trust is there. And I can keep the bike balanced. He doesn't outweigh me, either. It's just about the height.

Is it possible to get something like a "Medium" or an 18 inch both up front and in the rear, and add a much taller seat in the rear for him? Wouldn't it just be incredably awkward for him if his seat is high but the handlebars are below my seat (which would be low)?

All input and help is much appreciated. It's been 7 years since he's owned a "good" bike and this will be my first bike that didn't come from a department store. All new territory and I'm learning as I go!