View Single Post
Old 03-16-14, 07:11 AM
chojn1

Bikes: Eriksen Tandem, DIY CF Tandem, Aluminum Tandem, Lightspeed, Cervelo, Specialized, Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
I just came back from our ski trip, so not much progress on my DI2 install. I did manage to drill all the necessary holes before I left. I was nervous about drilling into the frame, but after the first hole the rest came very easily. Some masking tape, center tap, cutting fluid, progression of drill bit sizes and about 30 minutes was all it took.

On the plus side, all the parts I ordered were sitting on my desk on my return, so I am ready for the install. The first challenge:

Unlike the carbon frames, mine has a gap in support from the captain seat tube to the boom tube. A grove in the shell will leave a hole at this point. Instead, I am looking into modifying the Bushnell/Da Vinci eccentric. A Cannondale eccentric would have been easily installed here, but there are just too many complaints about the thing getting stuck.

The second problem is the rear bottom bracket. There is a lip on the sides of my bb axle cover. Problem solved with 5 minutes on the belt sander.

Regarding the drive train, I have on order an FSA SLK Force compact crankset (50/34). The 172.5mm length of the cranks matches the current front and rear tandem crankset. The plan is to replace the right cranks with this set. This will eliminate the need for modifying the driveline, or the extended derailleur clamp. This is a little unfortunate, as I will not be testing my new carbon derailleur clamp.

Last edited by chojn1; 03-16-14 at 07:37 AM.