View Single Post
Old 03-16-14, 01:20 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
b1, interesting comments about your hands. I've never met anyone like that, but I won't dispute that it could be common.

It should go without saying that a proper setup is critical w.r.t. drop bars. "Serious" hammerers like them much lower than I keep mine. My tops are high enough that I can ride them relaxed if I choose. Forward throw of the bar to the hoods is horizontal, which raises the hoods. If I need a more aero position I keep my hands on the hoods and my elbows bent. I would think, but can't prove, that this is even more aero than arms straight and on the drops, since the arms present less cross-section to the wind. Since I can't bend my back but so far, there is no need to set up the bar to accommodate a more aggressive position. All of which is another way of saying you needn't keep the bar 6" below the saddle and the hoods angled away from you unless you really really really want them that way.