dbg
Si Senior

Bikes: Too Numerous (not)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Gerryattrick
Very interesting comments from Badger1. I have ridden borrowed drop bar bikes but cannot get on with the drop position because of a long-standing neck condition and do not see the point of having a drop bar bike and only using the hood or top position. That is why I am building a road bike with narrow carbon flat bars and ergo bar-ends. It won't allow me to win any races, not that I enter any or even belong to a club, but will be fine for reasonably fast 40/50 mile, hilly rides when I choose not to use the mtbs. I plan to run it with 25 or 28mm tyres and, as I weigh 150 lbs, do not foresee a major rear tyre puncture problem.

As far as the OP is concerned go for what suits you, you seem to be doing your homework first. If you can adapt to drops, great, I'm sure you'll not regret it.
I'll be interested in your feedback also. And I'm doing a similar experiment. I've been committed to drop bars and mostly like them (maybe 10% of my time in the drops and it feels good to stretch a little bit --but it also gets annoying to me). So I'm building a flat bar setup with mtb trigger shifters and comfortable bar ends --AND I'm adding aero-bars just to see if I like that stretch position better than drops for those long afternoon miles alone.