Old 03-17-14, 01:04 PM
Null66

Bikes: Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ursa Minor
Sounds like a great ride Null66. I'm impressed with your speed - I usually poke along
at 8 to 10 mph.

Charlie
Thanks!
I'm about where I was at the end of last season.

Originally Posted by Weatherby
Null66.......if you can get one long ride in about 2 weeks before the 200K and then dial it back on intensity and distance for the week of the event, you should be ok.

The reason I was asking about BP meds is I was shocked how much lower my max heart rates were after starting cycling again after a 15 or so year hiatis. At 40 years old, I would max out at almost 200 BPM and my threshold was 168-170. On recent rides I could barely hit 154 BPM on hills. I started reading and trying to figure out what was wrong and even contemplated seeing a Cardioilogist. I am not on any meds but I read how many meds will impact heart rate. I joined a cycling club and went on a brisk club ride yesterday and hit 177 hanging on for dear life on a 2 mile long climb into a 25 mph wind. So, the bottomline is your post gave me some food for thought trying to figure out a training regimen. My old numbers just don't work and I have to find a new set.

THe old Long Steady Distance (no more than 60% of VO2 Max or about 75% OF HEART RATE RESERVER) regimen burns fat, increases mitocondria density, and spares catabolic tissue destruction. For these of us losing weight and who do not want to lose muscle, most of the riding should be in Zone 1 and Zone 2. Of course, I know many will challenge this. I have lost 34 pounds......this year.

Would love to go on a long ride!
I like long rides... It's what I like most actually.
Friday is looking a likely day for a ride! If work schedule stays clear, then I'll take the day!

Weather has been perverse. Crappy during the week, but at least 1 good day during the weekend. My SO and I took a week off to decompress and complete a home improvement task and the weather allowed us 3 rides!!! All were the kind of days that just make your month!

Did you do anything that allowed you to push your heart harder?
Was it the weight loss? Congrats by the way.
I have been on BP meds, but am not now. Do you know if there's a long term effect on mhr?

So far caffeine reduction and better sleep have lowered my resting and improved the response to workload, but max is holding on the the high 140's-150...

LSD is supported by studies, as second best way to reduce visceral fat. Visceral is the fat that is toxic to well being. Visceral fat also releases hormones that impairs fat loss... Rides were >4 hours....
Intervals were the first best...

Commuting is less "fun" but seems to improve my life enjoyment far more then I can really explain.