Old 03-19-14, 10:37 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by mrtuttle04
Since I am diabetic, this is a major concern for me. As noted in other posts you need some carbs for long rides. I reconmend various fruits either fresh or dried. Oranges, grapes and raisins seams to work best for me. Typically, I will eat about half of the callories that I burn on the ride. You may also want to look at the glysemic load of what you are eating. A low glysemic load means it is easier for your body to process the sugar in the food. I also take trail mix with me which I eat if I find myself running out of energy while on the trail.
If you check your blood sugar levels during exercise, you'll see that you don't have the massive spikes you'd ordinarily see from carby foods. Don't be afraid to eat things that are ordinarily off limits. You might consider trying a few things and testing yourself on your training rides to see how YOUR body responds to different foods during a ride.

(FWIW, weight loss, exercise, and a hard look at my diet reversed my diabetes - won't work for everyone, but it's doable!)

BB

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton