View Single Post
Old 03-19-14, 10:14 PM
spola33

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need help with new bike decision

Hi. I am new to this forum, and pretty much new to bikes in general. I have decided to take up riding for the exercise. I'm 40 years old and riding a 17 year old Diamond Back mountain bike. No shocks, no frills, and very uncomfortable. I have decided that I need a more comfortable bike where I don't have to lean over the whole time (my back can't take it). I stumbled across what is to me a new bike category, Comfort bikes. More upright and comfortable than a mountain bike. I know nothing about specs of a bike nor do I need anything fancy. I will mainly be riding on paved paths and mild dirt trails, no jumping or aggressive riding. In my very limited research and after a trip to my local bike shop, I have come up with 2 possible choices and am looking for feedback. Keep in mind I set out with a budget of about $400 and will mainly be recreational riding for exercise (7-10 mile rides).

choice 1 - Specialized Expedition Sport:

Specialized Bicycle Components

choice 2 - Motobecane Jubilee Deluxe:

Save up to 60% off new Motobecane Jubilee Deluxe Comfort Bikes from bikesdirect.com

The Motobecane is $399 out the door shipped and the Specialized is $479 at LBS ($515 or so after tax)

I'm looking for help to compare the bike specs and your knowledge of the brands to make my selection. Are they fairly similar or does one really stand out? Is the Specialized worth the extra $115 for what my usage would be? I was able to sit on and test out the Specialized, it felt really nice. I'm a big guy, 6'4", and they have an XL frame that fit well.

Thanks for your help!!!