cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud
The proposed laws have not passed yet and the one meter law failed to pass the last time it was introduced as a private members bill. The Liberals voted it down. Right now the Liberals have a minority government which won't help unless every member toed the party line and actually show up for the vote.

Also this proposed law is only for Ontario, not the rest of Canada. The one good thing is they did not introduce mandatory helmet laws like the province of British Columbia.

I am not in strong favor of these proposed laws as I think education is a much better route to take when it comes to sharing the road with cyclists. Penalizing after the fact is not a deterrent in my eyes.

In my lifetime, as a resident of Toronto, Ontario, I have yet to see a cyclist pulled over and given a warning, they get tickets. Of course maybe I don't see the ones getting warnings.
We have a helmet law in Ontario but there is a consensus among police not to enforce it on adults.

I strongly oppose "wrong way" riding on one way streets and I hope they don't make it legal. It causes problems for "right-way" cyclists since it causes cars to move right (sometimes veering suddenly) to accomodate the oncoming cyclist, and that threatens those of us on the right side.

It's also a threat to pedestrians who may not think to look the wrong way when crossing a one way street.

Since there's always a parallel street going the other way, the only reason to ride the wrong way is if you're too goddam lazy to ride one extra block.

Last edited by cooker; 03-20-14 at 08:25 AM.