Old 03-21-14, 09:07 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
We have a helmet law in Ontario but there is a consensus among police not to enforce it on adults.

You are slightly mistaken on this one. There is a helmet law for minors not adults.

HTA 104 - HelmetsEvery cyclist under the age of eighteen must wear an approved bicycle helmet. Parents or guardians shall not knowingly permit cyclists under sixteen to ride without a helmet. Set fine: $60.00

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/pubs/cycling-guide/section5.0.shtml

Also I don't know where you get the "wrong way" riding on one way streets from. My guess you are talking about contra flow lanes. Again, education is my answer. As a pedestrian, I always look both ways when crossing a street even a one way as you never know what can be coming up. Teach people to look both ways always! This extra step is very useful when I go to Tokyo, London or Sydney.

I use the contra lanes on Shaw street everyday in my winter commute (I guess I am one of the "goddam lazy ones" as you see it). I use them because it is my legal right to do so, not because I am lazy. If you have a look at those new lanes, there is a yellow line painted which in Ontario means lanes going in opposite directions. If a car is swerving to miss someone, then they are crossing the yellow line when they shouldn't. You are entitled to your opinion and if you dislike it so much, write or call the ministry.