Old 03-21-14, 12:56 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,525 Times in 1,055 Posts
Originally Posted by nielsp03
Despite having lived in Pleasanton for almost two decades, I never ventured into Del Puerta Canyon. I'll be back in the area the first weekend of May, and HAVE to ride that area, especially after viewing all of the photos on your blog. Traffic wise, how is the ride from Livermore on Mines to the Junction? I would probably be riding Saturday morning. My son, who lives in Livermore feels that it's too dangerous to bike. Any info is great appreciated! BTW, really enjoy your blog.
The roughly 3.5 miles of Mines Road from the Tesla Rd intersection to where the road to Del Valle Regional Park takes off (where you turn left to stay on Mines) can be busy on weekends, especially three-day weekends, including a fair number of boats and Winnebagos. There is a decent shoulder pretty much that entire stretch, so it is more annoying than anything. One caveat: I would beware of being on that stretch of road the last hour or so before dusk on a weekend day. That is when you have the greatest likelihood of drunk drivers on the road who have been on the lake all day getting sunburned and knocking back more brewskis than they recall. I grew up on that stretch of Mines Road, and at least one carful of such folks per year wrapped themselves around a tree on our property.

On the rest of Mines Road, traffic ranges from light to all but non-existent. So, with the one caveat above, I would say go for it. Once you have done the hardest climbing (two miles or less starting roughly a mile past where you turned left to stay on Mines Road) and get back to where the road and the Mocho Canyon narrow down, it is some of the prettiest riding around, especially during the green season.