View Single Post
Old 03-23-14, 11:23 AM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I did this yesterday, not today, but I was too tired when I got home to mess around on the computer. I rode up the logging roads on my Rocky Mountain to find a road I used to drive years ago, before this started becoming a normal sight:

That's about 2 - 3 miles from my house and I'm embarrassed to admit that I briefly considered driving to that point in my pickup with the bike in back. Most of the people who passed me on the gravel road leading there were probably heading to the Black Rock Mountain Bike area, with lots of trails and jumps, but not me.

It took me two hours from the time I left home to get to this road. It is called the S Line, and goes over to the North Fork of the Siletz River. It can't have been over 10 miles, but it was all climbing.

I rode off the S-Line up to a landing, as it was too cold to eat in the BLM forested area. This view is looking west toward the Valley of the Giants and the ocean. The picture doesn't show it, but I could see what looked like the ocean way out there. I guess it could have been the upper edge of a layer of clouds that are frequently out to sea off our coasst; they are pretty flat too.

I got this picture of Mt. Hood on my way back:

It took me about an hour to get back home. Even going downhill I had to take it easy, as the timber companies had put down fresh gravel in many places. It would have been tough riding my Fargo with the 50 mm Schwalbe Supremes I have on it for commuting.