View Single Post
Old 03-24-14, 05:55 AM
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tindo
To answer a few questions... firstly i'm 5'8" and yes i have a desk job so after exercise i am sedimentary for most of the day and yes i do mean 1205 calories above what i burn off during exercise so that is about 1805 per day except on the days i dont ride then i just stay at 1205 but those are really rare for me since i cant seem to sit still for more then a 12 hour period lol
Be careful using "net calories"... I have found from personal experience that exercise calories are not the same as dietary calories. That is: that 3,500 calories burned does not lose a pound, but 3,500 consumed does put on a pound.

I suspect that the difference may be that many of the calculators include BMR (basal metabolic rate) calories in their calculation of 'exercise calories'. The calculator I use from Digifit shows both "(total) calories" as well as "Fat Calories". Fat calories are usually about 1/4 or 1/3 of the total.

I suspect that the "fat calories" are the more relevant number to look at, but I have not been able to find much information about it -- aside from Digifit's explanation that at lower levels of exertion, the body tends to use fat as it's source of energy but at higher levels of exertion it resorts to burning carbs...