View Single Post
Old 03-24-14, 09:56 AM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
This is the "dangerous" time of year to be cycling in to work. With daytime temps above freezing and overnight temps below, melt water freezes into smooth, flat surfaces. Even the sidewalks are tough going: boot prints have frozen overnight rendering the sidewalks into a rough ride (and not easily walked on either). Furthermore, with the amount of snow we've had (and continue to get) this winter (and spring?), it will be a while before the melting is finished.

Without studded tires, I'm going to wait out this time of year this year (putting together some DIY studded tires for next winter).

A note about this year's snow: I was walking my dog yesterday along an infrequently used path (the city hasn't opened this section of the trail yet but I and other dog walkers will use it anyway) when I accidentally stepped off the path (i.e., footprints before mine) into unbroken snow and my boot did not hit solid ground, despite my leg being buried in the snow up to the top of my thigh. Despite my wish to have spring arrive soon, a fast melt of all this snow will result is so many flooded basements in our city (especially the section we call "The Valley").