Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by misanthrope
I purchased an ex-rental 2013 Trek 7.2 FX from my LBS a few days ago.

I've other minor gripes such as not getting a manual with the bike even though it's a Trek dealership and the manual states that "This manual is considered a part of the bicycle
that you have purchased. If you sell the bike, please give this manual to the new owner."

Badly adjusted brakes, gears, and fenders are however something that I did expect a service to fix. The fact that they weren't leads me to suspect that they didn't bother to service the bike at-all. Is this a reasonable conclusion to come to? Should I complain, and if so what should I say?
1. I've never seen a bicycle manual. I don't think that's a common thing which gets included with a bicycle. For one thing, if you really want one, you can likely download one from the internet. But somehow I have my doubts you'll find it particularly useful. You'd do better picking up a Zinn and the Art of Bicycle Maintenance or similar.

2. If you feel it wasn't serviced/adjusted, you don't need to go to drastic measures. Just take it in and nicely mention the issues you're having. Maybe they didn't service it. Mistakes happen and it could have been missed. Or maybe they did service it ... it is a rental after all, and that might be the best they can do.