View Single Post
Old 10-07-05, 04:01 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by Riddler
I stop at all stop signs and stop lights. I do this not only for my personal safety, but out of respect for everyone else on the road! Riding a bicycle on the street is a privilege, not a right. If you expect respect from drivers and other cyclists, then you better be an example. Don't worry about your best time, maintaining your heartrate or racing home to do whatever; isn't riding about NOT WORRYING and relaxing a little (even when you're seriously training or racing)?
I'm thinking of starting a campaign here to have the police ticket anybody who runs a stop. Period.
If you wonder why I am the way I am...my oldest brother was killed while riding his bike outside of the rules of the road...the truck was doing 60 when it hit him.
Actually operating a motor vehicle on a highway is a privilege. Moving on said highway by human or animal power (walking, riding a bicycle or riding an animal) is a right. That's why you have to have a license to operate a motor vehicle and why it can be taken away. And it is why cars have to yield to pedestrians in all cases. Bikes are in a gray area.

I do agree about stopping at all traffic control devices, however. Getting into the habit of running them leads to not looking when you run them and can, tragically, end up with someone being dead. This applies to both motor vehicle operators and bicyclists.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!