View Single Post
Old 03-27-14, 01:38 PM
dciskey

Bikes: Surly Pacer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm thinking of getting a membership to speed up train trips. From where I live it's usually a bus to the train and that adds time. Could lock my own bike up at the train station, but then there's the possibility of tampering/theft. My wife's bike is even nicer than mine. $150/year would speed up some CTA trips and give is peace of mind. Plus it's a backup if our own bikes are down for service or something.

I know people who bike a lot feel like the gearing is a bit low but I think it's fine for most riders, and the bikes aren't exactly lightweights. I wouldn't mind being able to go a bit faster but it can be nice to cruise.

The system has some federal funding and some city funding. They're working on a corporate sponsor like Citibike. To me, it's an extension of public transportation, and like public transportation I don't care if it's entirely self-sufficient. If it gets more people on bikes and thinking like cyclists it'll be good for all of us. Plus they get plenty of late fees from tourists, although even with late fees it can make
more sense for them than the other bike rental
options.