View Single Post
Old 03-27-14, 07:59 PM
Duane Behrens

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac (carbon), Specialized Roubaix (carbon, wifey), Raleigh Super Course (my favorite), and 2 Centurion project bikes.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HillRider
I wasn't replying to or referring to you, I was replying to "Antieverything". He seems to think that any warning that a project may not be the best idea is from "haters".

You were duly warned pages ago and decided to proceed anyway but you knew what you were getting into by then. I'm thrilled it worked out but the bike you lucked into bailed you out with its oddball geometry.
I was "warned" by at least 5 posters that restoring a 50 cm frame for a person of my height (5' 10") was a bad idea. Each of these warnings was read and pondered. After reading them, I'd often-as-not go out and throw a leg over that old bike. And each time I did so I thought, "well wait - this WILL work!" And it did, to a degree I couldn't have anticipated.

The warnings, however well-intended, were borne from ignorance. You're correct - I got lucky. But I got lucky because I ignored the critics. And I wonder how may of those critics will now think twice before dismissing a concept of which, as it turns out, they know very little.

Probably none. After all, they're all so much smarter than me. :-) Thanks for your input. Take care. DB

Last edited by Duane Behrens; 03-27-14 at 08:03 PM.