Old 03-30-14, 08:04 AM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
And, by the way, in that the OP is a member of this online community, I would indeed feel horrible if he had a bad outcome. That's one of many reasons for me not to interject an unfounded opinion on the decision making.

The way I read it, threads like this are just asking for other people's experiences. They aren't asking for advice. The OP sounded well informed to begin with. I think he is looking for mutuality and support.
Here Here.

Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
OP, a hearth cath procedure is not a walk in the park and it is not without attendant risks. But don't let fear keep you from undergoing a procedure which can literally save your life and bring a marked improvement to the quality of what life you will have in the future.

After each procedure I was able to get back on my feet within a few short days. I was a little sore at the insertion point, but I sort of liked the shaved groin look. (Yes they do shave you "down there.")

After the last angioplasty, the doctor told me to lay off the bike for about a month and to keep my HR at under 120 during that period of time. At my follow-up appointment he released me to go back to riding.

I am now back on the bike and I enjoying pushing my "new" arteries to the max. I have done several 60+ miles ride and I am back climbing the local hills. I haven't felt this good in a long time.

The point of all of this is not to "brag," but to let the OP and others considering this procedure know that although it has some risks the alternative is not too pleasant to consider.

Get educated, talk to your doctor, ask a lot of questions and do not let fear get in the way.
I had two angio's, both emergency procedures. The outcomes for me in both cases were immediate and positive.

In the second case there were blockages that were un stented, since in emergency angioplasty the procedure is to address the immediate danger. My cardiologist had said, during a follow up to my second event, that I may need bypass surgery in the future. I would really rather that they be able to clear this with just angioplasty. In the two years since, due to weight loss and improved cardio function, we may go with the less invasive method.

YMMV.

OT. Good to hear from you again T.Stormcrowe.

Last edited by CommuteCommando; 03-30-14 at 08:09 AM.