Old 03-30-14, 10:38 PM
AzTallRider
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
2014-03-30 AZ State Criterium Championships: M60-64: Firebird raceway auto track

Interesting race. The course was shortened from the crit held there earlier in the year, eliminating a reducing radius corner that gave some folks fits, and turning it into even more of a Nascar, no need for brakes, speed fest. Essentially a kidney shaped course, pretty short (haven't loaded files but somewhere in the .6 a .8 mile range), with the S/F on the long straight. Wind was building, reaching the mid-teens. It was a bit swirling, but mostly a headwind on the S/F straight.

13 starters. 5 of us on the same team. Two of those are pretty strong but new to mass starts, and one is at the "I just want to hang on for longer than last race" phase. The other guy is totally unpredictable strategy wise. Sometimes he's a godsend. Other times he drags people up to your break. We talked. Strategy was to attack to wear down the big sprinter. If Karl got away, we'd do our best to protect that, as he has TT chops. Anyone else would need help, and we were hoping a particular guy would provide. Mr. sprinter, though is both strong and savvy. He chased down our attacks anytime they looked the least threatening. I think we threw 4-5 at him. The crucial one was just before a prime was announced. Our 'sometimes a godsend' did a decent attack that Mr. sprinter had to chase down. It was closed just before the lead up to to the S/F. I knew nobody cared about a prime with a jersey at stake. I also knew it was potentially a crucial point. But, I was out of position after having tried to slow down the chase and having folks go around. So, I was looking way up the course as the favorites finished the prime and kept going. I went wide and buried myself, not knowing whether I was dragging the pack or not, and not really caring. I just had to get to that group. I did. Alone. I made it 5. The top three favorites, a teammate, and me.

Side note. That teammate (the one with TT chops) had tangled with the other new teammate in the early laps and gone down. He had gotten a free lap and rejoined.

I sucked wheels the next couple of laps as the two big guns traded pulls, Mr. Sprinter doing his share. Hard not to like the guy sometimes, but we manage not to anyway. But they started looking around, and our lead was dwindling. I tried the "Guys, the gap is closing!" routine, but they didn't pick up the pace, so rested me took a fast pull for over a lap that opened it back up. Felt good to get a kudo from an opponent who said "great job; take a rest". The threat appeared gone and things got tactical as we hit 5 to go, although one of the guys had a teammate briefly join us, but he faded really fast, and was quickly gone again. I assessed my situation and didn't like it... at all... Having never beaten any of the three non-teammates in a sprint. So I launched with 4 to go. I got a gap, but nothing big, and spent lap 3 pulling the break really slowly, trying to get them to go around. Of course, when they did they did exactly what I would have done, and blew by fast enough to drop me. So I spent 2 to go burying myself to get back on, which I did. Then faded in the sprint, finishing 5th.

Much better than the last few weeks.

After I cooled down, I asked our team captain for a critique. He had seen what transpired, and agreed that my move was the best option. It gave me a shot at the win, and risked only being where I likely would have ended up anyway.

But. In hindsight, I realize I didn't fully commit to that attack. I felt it was a long shot - a flyer - and part of me was saying "dial it down so you don't get spit out the back and caught by the pack." And I did dial it back, way too far, and was caught. Makes you wonder if I pay attention to my coach! That's probably my only real mistake in this one. I needed an all out, hurt now and puke later effort, and I wussed on that.

Something to make sure I don't repeat.

All in all though, this one goes in the good column.