View Single Post
Old 03-30-14, 11:19 PM
AlTheKiller

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I really like, or want to like All City's line up. But there is always something that kind of irks me. The Mr pink would probably be perfect for me with rack mounts. Being a Cali boy, rack mounts are more important than fender actually, but if I'm going to drop coin on a new bike I better like all of it.

I've been looking at my cost building up frame sets. I get wholesale cost on parts, and even still I will probably end up paying double just trying to outfit a frame exactly the same way it comes as a complete... Building a bike never even comes remotely close to being as cost effective as buying a complete. Of course, if you are the kind of guy who NEEDS to upgrade most components, then this comes less into play. But even still I bet you'd come out ahead by buying a complete and selling what you don't want to fund what you do want, compared to just sourcing the parts yourself.

If you really want the experience of building your own bike just buy a complete, strip it down to the frame, scour the internet looking for parts to add to your cart without purchasing, then take a sledgehammer to your pinky toe, then put your bike back together. That's pretty much the experience.

Edit: I also love the Velo Orange Pass Hunter frameset on paper. Great classic looks with modern sensibilities. But only single eyelet in the rear, and only capable of a top mount front rack for handlebar bags... I generally like the rando thoughts behind bikes.. Sorry yet stable, thicker tires but not monster, and the ability to take mid sized loads.

Last edited by AlTheKiller; 03-31-14 at 12:13 AM.