Old 03-31-14, 02:07 AM
01 CAt Man Do

Bikes: Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
That is more reasonable. But it might not be very odd at all.

Maybe, ridewithgps is doing cuesheet a favor by not offering the same deal.

People are still trying to figure out how to make some profit on apps that people really don't want to spend any money on. (The cuesheet guy seems to be having some difficulty working it out.)

It might not make sense to pay a subscription just for turn-by-turn navigation (though, there are quite a few car navigation apps that are subscription-based).

If there are real alternatives (it's not clear if there are or whether ridewithgps's works well enough), then no one would pay ridewithgps for just that. Thus, is seems fairly apparent that ridewithgps sees this feature as part of what makes a subscription worth while.
Hmmm....you make some good points. I just think RWGPS would of been smarter if they just did what Cuesheet did and offer some upgraded features with an affordable "pay for" app that required only a one time fee. After that they could still offer a subscription service with the more premium features. Just saying. Not to mention who's to say that if the Google people saw how well the RWGPS and other mapping services are doing that they may choose to get into the act and offer a more expanded version of Google Map/navigation. If that were to happen no doubt in my mind that RWGPS would have a hard time competing.

As for other app developers and marketers; I think there is good money in app development. Market an app that is useful and cheap and people will buy. Smart phones themselves are becoming more popular and more inexpensive. The more people who buy S-phones the more money the app developers make. On the flip side, if the developers get too greedy by asking too much for their "pay for" apps and subscriptions, no doubt in my mind that the potential buyers will seek other alternatives. Need I say when it comes to apps there are lots of choices.