View Single Post
Old 10-08-05, 06:36 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
My question to all of you long term in shape types is; How frequently to some of you ride during the winter to keep a semblance of fitness? By the way its gotta be on the bike, I hate and get bored to death in gyms![/QUOTE]

p8-We probably live not too far from each other. I might have even been the guy you passed!!

Regardless, I've found I don't mind riding all year around here. You just have to accept that with the cooler air and heavier clothing you're not going to be as fast. The stuff I've bought for winter riding is a skull cap, good cycling undershirt to pull moisture off the body, heavier riding jersey, wind vest, either knee warmers, knickers or tights (depending on the temps), full fingered gloves and riding booties. Once you get the blood going you can have some really nice rides on 30+ degree days. The tough days are when it's raining and cold-I have not found a way to keep the feet dry with the shoes I have. Water comes in through the vents in the soles. I actually even used the neoprene "socks" over my feet but too much sweating going on there. The nice thing is that your water bottle stays really nice and cold!!

We have a commercial park that is lit and has 1-2 mile loops that we can ride in on Tuesday and Thursday nights. I then try to do a long ride on either a Saturday or Sunday.

I seem to do better just getting out and riding than trying to do the trainer.......but that is just me.

Agree that the weather isn't very good this weekend. I had plans for a ride today and tomorrow. Hopefully we'll just have clouds tomorrow instead of this Tammy thing. The rain has been sorely need though.

Congrats on the 1000 miles!! That is terrific!!