Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MickeyMaguire
In many cases, having a doctor well-versed in a subject's entire history is necessary in order to find treatment that works. I am a big believer in discovering the root cause of things, as opposed to masking things with drugs automatically. Dealing with the immediate issue with meds (if necessary), but, diving into the real cause of depression is vital if someone is ever to be "cured" --so to speak.
Agreed. I want to make it clear - I am not saying avoid medication - it clearly has its place and purpose. Medication should be taken along with therapy and doctor supervision. And yes everyone reacts differently. Some people respond well to therapy (thankfully I did) and some, many who have deep rooted issues, avoid therapy or don't use it effectively because they fear the result. Both my brother and brotherinlaw, in a sense, committed suicide, by taking drugs (BIL overdosed and brother succumbed to cancer caused by a drug lifestyle) and refusing therapy... long story... anyway...

Since there is so much clinical depression in my family, including by me, I've studied on it. Clearly I am not a qualified therapist or doctor so this is just my observation, nothing else. Some depression is clearly caused by chemical imbalances and hopefully with proper testing, those imbalances can be addressed. Some depression is mental, in other words self-induced. I think this is hardest to treat. Looking at that root cause of this type of depression, I believe most people suffer a lack of gratitude... in other words, they are disappointed with the bad card hand dealt them... and instead of seeing how strong a person they can be in spite of that, they start to dwell on the "why me" of it all. I think more and more this is the reason for depression as I believe our kids have a sense of entitlement and less a sense of being grateful for what they have. For instance "my parents brought me this lame 2002 Ford Escape... I wanted a new Scion!!! I'm pissed!" (I actually hear a friend's kid say this). Instead of realizing many parents don't buy their kids cars at all, the kid should be grateful for what he got... instead he starts to pout and then starts to compare himself to what others have and he doesn't and the dive deep into depression begins.

Someone suggested complimenting someone every day... I also give thanks every day for at least one thing. I know it sounds very lame and "new agey" (or religious) but it works... for me. It makes me realize how good a life I really have; I truly do. I still find myself slipping into depression so I sit down with myself and have a heart to heart... "Pam do you really want to go there? Do you really want to isolate yourself from others? Do you really want to feel so bad for yourself... Is your life that bad?" Helps me snap out of it.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.