Old 03-31-14, 01:46 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Distinguished
More details on the Grocery Situation

I have only recently started cooking for myself (after getting out of my school's exorbitant meal plan). So far I've done my groceries through public transit and sometimes through my bike & a backpack.

I shop for food once a month, but I'm unsure whether to choose panniers*, a one wheeled trailer, a two wheeled trailer, or a combination of these to carry a month's worth of bulk groceries for one (vegan) person.

This grocery-carrying mechanism, whether trailer or panniers, would have to work as my touring equipment as well. Perhaps I can purchase a rack & panniers at first, and if that's not enough, upgrade to a Bob Trailer (or the one I found above for $75).

------------------------------------------------------------

*my 1990's down-tube-shifting Cannondale Road Bike only has one set of pannier/fender eyelets, 1 eyelet per rear dropout. The fork dropouts have no eyelets.
I also have a 1990 down-tube-shifting Cannondale Road Bike and it works fine with a rear rack and panniers, but I go grocery shopping more frequently. The two rear panniers and rack top might be a stretch for getting a whole month's worth depending on the items involved. I'd opt for the panniers for touring and smaller shopping trips and supplement with a trailer if more extensive shopping trips are required.