Old 03-31-14, 06:05 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
I made a fixed cup tool clamp pretty much like the one cyccommute describes except I used a 4" 5/8"NC hex head bolt for the shaft along with a matching nut and two fender washers. All of these are standard hardware store items.

I use the bottom bracket's own adjustable cup on nds side and one fender washer on each side, one to distribute the load on the adjustable cup and one to hold the fixed cup tool in place. I've never needed any further reinforcement. A rubber mallet on the fixed cup tool can be a real help in breaking the cup free. Just remember which direction to pound it.

A pair of 5" to 6" tweezers with moderately wide serrated tip is a tremendous help in removing and inserting individual bearing balls from hubs, bottom brackets and headset races.

A Dremel with a fiber reinforced cut off wheel can be used to rejuvenate worn Allen keys. Cutting a 1/16" to 1/8" slice off of the worn tip will reestablishing the sharp corners needed to prevent damaging bolts. The same Dremel can be used to cut 1" long sections from Allen keys that can be super glued into sockets to form square drive hex bits. Acetone will dissolve the glue when you want to turn the bit over to expose a fresh end or replace it with another hex section.