Old 04-01-14, 02:09 AM
DR03K

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by schocca
It all depends on what the current groupset is. The Dahon version comes with SRAM kit. Road STIs with MTB RDs normally have compatability issues. You need to search the forums. The problem I have is that the kit you are talking about is pretty low level, so I doubt that you will find much regarding suitability.

It's normally always worth upgrading to a full road STI set... the experience is significantly better (and lighter). My Espresso bike has Tiagra 2012. The black Jack was done with the latest Sora, which has a very good rep nowadays. I had the same conversation with the guy who did the Jack conversion. In the end, once your start to go road, it's worth the effort to go all the way.

On another point is weight. A road bike is light, the Espresso/Jacks weigh about 14-16Kg. You might have a bike with drops, but the weight is still chunky (and the wheels will be heavy and slow). If you put thought in the road kit, buy kit with weight listed, then you can get it down to 10.5Kg easy.

I hope that helps. Schocca.
Thank you for the tips.
I'll definitely be taking your advice on board and eventually get a decent groupset and do the job properly.

In the interim, I've added drops/new stem (These two I snagged in CRC clearance) and Tektro RL520s levers (bought cheap from ebay) .. these are drop levers designed to work with v-brakes.
I've even retained my microshift twisters, mounted on a thorn accessory bar... which surprisingly works really well, despite the abomination.

Anyhow, happy with the setup for now, but 105/tiagra groupset is definitely on the cards!
I think i'll try source the parts cheaply over-time and then make the transition.

I do potentially have access to 105 brakes, FSA SLK carbon crankset, 105 RD, sora FD, Sora STIs
But the kit looks well used.

With regards to mounting the brakes, did you have to file-out more space to fit the connecting bolt in the front fork?

Couple of pictures

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20140325_105044.jpg (88.3 KB, 332 views)
File Type: jpg
20140325_105115.jpg (90.3 KB, 349 views)

Last edited by DR03K; 04-01-14 at 02:23 AM.