Old 04-02-14, 07:36 AM
roburrito

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Help adjusting chainline with Sturmey Archer hub

I need help with adjusting the chainline with a sturmey archer hub.

I've been building a belt drive setup with a 5-speed SA SRF5 hub on a modified Steamroller frame.

I'm having trouble getting the chainline (beltline) aligned. When I first set it up, I had both flanges (chainring and cog) facing out, and the belt was tracking towards the hub (in). But then I watched a Gates video and you are supposed to have the chainring out and the cog in. When I did this I have the belt tracking away from the hub (out). I added a 4mm axle spacer to the non-drive side of the hub and the belt is still tracking 3-4mm out. I can't add more or there isn't enough axle for the nut to thread on to (with the lock washer). I don't think you can adjust the axle through the SA hub. I can't move the cog over on the freehub because SA has a stupid lockring that fits into a groove to hold it in place.

I'm using a Bontrager Race GXP crankset. I already have a washer between the chainring and the crankset in order to get clearance for the 55t chainring. Not sure how bad of an idea that is. I know they make spacers for GXP bottom brackets to go with some cranksets. Can I safely add spacers to the driveside of the bottom bracket?

Anything I'm missing?